15 Mar Scriptwriter of the Month: Burak Babayiğit
In March, we introduce you to one more scriptwriter – Turkish scriptwriter and director BurakBabayigit. Babayağit started working on film while still in High School. These days, he is residing in Istanbul, working on commercials and raising money for his next film.
To find out a bit more about Babayigit check his MTSW Profile here.
And check out his short film BLACK.
What makes the 5 films on your Top 5 list so special?
- The movies I love are not the best ones. They are just my favourite. 🙂 I like 12 ANGRY MEN very much. It’s the story of 12 men in one room and characters are not just players, they are warriors. This is why I think this movie is one of the most beautiful.
Why did you decide to go into film?
- Life was exhausting and boring for me. There were always outside problems. When I entered movie theatres, the lights went out and the movie begun. Everything outside the film was not important. At that moment, only the story would be important.
Commercial films or art house?
- I think this is a false dilemma. Film can only be bad or good… Honest or dishonest. It depends on what your motives for doing it are.
How and when did you begin writing?
- I started reading books when I was 12-13 years old. And I knew right then that I need to write! The first story I wrote Face to Face with Charlie Chom (a piece stolen from Harry Potter, but for me it was more beautiful).
Where do you like to write the most?
- Everywhere? 🙂
What kind of music do you listen while writing?
- Mostly, post-Rock. But my favourite music is Rap. (mostly Turkish Rap)
Where do ideas come from?
- Believe me, I never know. Sometimes I can come up with ideas while playing with my cats.
If you could go anywhere in space and time, where would that be?
- Where space and time are irrelevant – into my Dreams.